The Workhouses of Laois

Arrow Down Icon

There were three workhouses in Co. Laois that offered the destitute of the county, as well a few electoral divisions beyond the county borders, some hope in the form of poor relief, as dismal as it was. We had two prefamine workhouses in Abbeyleix and Mountmellick, and one post-famine workhouse in Donaghmore. Though both Abbeyleix and Mountmellick workhouses are gone now, it’s important that they, and the destitute people they accommodated, are remembered. So, in todays post we’ll take a quick look at those workhouses, the areas they served, the number of people they housed, and what has become of them.

Donaghmore Union Workhouse

Old Map for Donaghmore Union Workhouse

🔗 Donaghmore Union Workhouse was built sometime around late 1850 and early 1851 at a cost of £4,750, with an additional £775 in fixtures and fittings, costing a total of £5,525 (roughly £964,000 today). It was built to relieve the overcrowded conditions of both Abbeyleix and Roscrea Union Workhouses.

The Donaghmore Poor Law Union was created sometime around 1848-1850, and was formally established on the 7th of June 1850, providing poor relief to the electoral divisions of Ballybrophy, Borris-in-Ossory, Donaghmore, Errill, Glenmore, Granstown, Kilcoke, Kildellig, Kyle, Moneenalassa, Moneymore, Rathdowney, and Rathsaran.

The Workhouse was officially deemed fit for paupers on the 23rd of September 1853, but the Minute Books of the Board of Guardians actually shows that paupers were received in the workhouse as early as the 12th of July 1851. We believe that in those first two years the workhouse accommodated the overflow from both Abbeyleix and Roscrea before accepting new paupers. In 1886 the Board of Guardians requested for Donaghmore Poor Law Union to be dissolved and the workhouse closed.

It is believed that the workhouse could accommodate up to 400 inmates, but the Minute Books suggests that 600 inmates could be accommodated in the early life of the workhouse, later increasing to 658, 42 of which were available spaces in the permanent fever hospital on the site. The fever hospital didn’t just provide care for the inmates of the workhouse: there’s a report of a young boy having been brought into the workhouse fever hospital after his arm had been partially amputated in an incident with livestock.

(Clarification: Just because a workhouse could accommodate a certain number of inmates, it doesn’t mean that the workhouse ever housed that number of inmates, e.g., the highest number of inmates that Donaghmore Union Workhouse accommodated at any one time was 426 inmates. The discrepancy between how many inmates the workhouse could officially accommodate and how many it could actually house is likely due to its cost of operation, i.e., 400 is the maximum number of inmates that it could afford to accept.)

If you would like to learn more about Donaghmore Union Workhouse and what it became after the workhouse closed, we would love for you to visit us, and come for a guided tour.

Abbeyleix Union Workhouse

The site of Abbeyleix Union Workhouse Old Map for Abbeyelix Union Workhouse

🔗 Abbeyleix Union Workhouse was built sometime around 1841-1842 at a cost of £5,850, with an additional £1,020 in fixtures and fittings, costing a total of £6,870 (roughly £1,200,000 today).

The Abbeyleix Poor Law Union was formally established on the 3rd of December 1839, providing poor relief to the electoral divisions of Aghaboe, Abbeyleix, Aughmacart, Ballinakill, Ballyroan, Castletown, Coolkerry, Killermogh, Raheen, Timahoe, and Durrow (which was a part of Co. Kilkenny up until 1846).

The Workhouse was officially deemed fit for paupers on the 24th of March 1842 and was closed sometime after the formation of the Irish Free State on the 6th of December 1922.

It is believed that the workhouse could accommodate up to 500 inmates, but the Minute Books suggests that 703 inmates could be accommodated, 93 of which were available spaces in the permanent fever hospital on the site.

Nothing of the original workhouse remains today, having been converted into a community hospital sometime around 1920-1930. Interestingly, the fever hospital on the site of the workhouse actually took in patients who weren’t inmates before the workhouse closed. Behind the hospital there is a commemoration under a great oak tree for the people who died in the workhouse.

Mountmellick Union Workhouse

Old Map for Mountmellick Union Workhouse

🔗 Mountmellick Union Workhouse was built sometime around 1842-1844 at a cost of £6,915, with an additional £1,381 in fixtures and fittings, costing a total of £8,296 (roughly £1,450,000 today).

The Mountmellick Poor Law Union was formally established on the 7th of December 1839, providing poor relief to the electoral divisions of Maryborough (now Portlaoise), Mountmellick, Mountrath, Rearymore, Rosanalis, and East Upperwood, and East Ballykean, West Ballykean, Cloneyhurk, and Portarlington in Co. Offaly (then King’s County).

The Workhouse was officially deemed fit for paupers on the 31st of August 1844 and was closed sometime after the formation of the Irish Free State on the 6th of December 1922.

It is believed that the workhouse could accommodate up to 800 inmates, but the Minute Books suggests that initially 1676 inmates could be accommodated. 900 could be accommodated in the workhouse, 700 in additional workhouse buildings, 44 in the permanent fever hospital, and a further 32 in the fever sheds. Later on, that number decreased to 1,136, 44 of which were available spaces in the permanent fever hospital on the site. An additional 40 inmates could be treated in the fever hospital in Mountrath if needed.

The workhouse has since been converted to a care home with the vast majority of the original buildings having been demolished. No commemorations to those who died in the workhouse has been erected, but one of the original workhouse walls makes up what is now a part of the kitchen in the care home.

Bonus: Roscrea Union Workhouse

The site of Roscrea Union Workhouse Old Map for Roscrea Union Workhouse

While in Co. Tipperary, you could look at 🔗 Roscrea Union Workhouse as the sibling of Donaghmore Union Workhouse: for the first 10-15 years of operation at Donaghmore, inmates were transferred between the two workhouse. It was built sometime around 1840-1841 at a cost of £6,700, with an additional £1,296 in fixtures and fittings, costing a total of £7,996 (roughly £1,400,000 today).

The Roscrea Poor Law Union was formally established on the 8th of May 1839, providing poor relief to the electoral divisions of Bourney, Burrisnafarney, Killea, Killevinoge, Rathnaveoge, and Roscrea in Co. Tipperary, Aghancon, Cullenwaine, Dunkerrin, Ettagh, Kilcolman, Kilmurry, Roscomroe, and Shinrone in Co. Offaly (then King’s County), and Borris-in-Ossory, Donaghmore, Eirke, Kyle, and Rathdowney in Co. Laois (then Queen’s County) before the formation of Donaghmore Poor Law Union.

The Workhouse was officially deemed fit for paupers on the 24th of March 1842 and was closed sometime after the formation of the Irish Free State on the 6th of December 1922.

It is believed that the workhouse could accommodate up to 700 inmates, but the Minute Books suggests that 2400 inmates could be accommodated, with 1550 in the workhouse, 120 in temporary buildings, and a 730 in additional workhouse buildings.

Nothing of the original workhouse remains today and no commemoration for those who died in the workhouse has been erected. As of 2026, the site is occupied by St. Cronan’s Association, who provide support to adults with intellectual disabilities and autism. The workhouses of Ireland made it painfully clear that specialised care for the mentally unwell did not exist at the time. While it is a shame for students of history that the workhouse is gone and that nothing has been done to remember those people who died in Roscrea Union Workhouse, it is fitting that a group who provides support for the intellectually disabled now operates on the site.

(Disclaimer & Image Credits: Historic maps are sourced from Tailte Éireann via the 🔗 MapGenie application. Map data: © Tailte Éireann / Government of Ireland. Donaghmore Workhouse & Agricultural Museum is an independent heritage institution and is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or partnered with Tailte Éireann. Historical map extracts are reproduced here strictly for educational and public-interest research purposes. All contemporary site photographs were taken by and remain the property of the staff of Donaghmore Workhouse & Agricultural Museum.)

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
A set of tools used by architects from the 1800s. This image was generated using Google's Gemini

George Wilkinson

George Wilkinson (whose portrait and photograph appear below) was born in the market town of Witney, situated in the county[...]

Stone museum building with green wooden door and sash windows at Donaghmore Museum

Media

Explore a collection of videos featuring the Donaghmore Famine Workhouse Museum, including virtual tours, documentaries, visitor experiences, and stories that[...]

Aerial view of Donaghmore Museum complex, showing multiple stone buildings arranged around large internal courtyards, surrounded by green farmland.