Donaghmore Famine Workhouse Museum
 lpc2010.jpg  leaderlogo2009.jpg
Behind the scenes the museum is managed by a voluntary committee, formed in 1988 to renovate and intreprete two of the five buildings at the front of the Donaghmore Workhouse site built in 1853.

The aim of the committee is to preserve the buildings, develop an agricultural collection and tell the story of Famine times and the harsh life in the Workhouse until it closed in 1886 and how the Workhouse evolved into Donaghmore Co-operative in 1927.

The Museum buildings are in the ownership of Laois County Council and the Museum Committee enjoy the support of all of the local County Councillors and the various staff members that interact with the Museum on a continual basis.

Donaghmore Famine Workhouse and Agricultural Museum Co-operative Society Limited acknowledge the financial and professional support of BNS LEADER Co. and Laois LEADER Rural Development Co. and now Laois Partnership Company for capital grant assistance over the years.

The physical work carried out on the site was done by the many participants of the FAS Community Employment Scheme and the voluntary committee over a twenty year period.

Currently day to day operations are assisted with the support of the Rural Social Scheme and the TUS Programme, both funded by the Department of Social Protection and administered locally by Laois Partnership Company. All participants on both of these schemes have been a valuable asset to the ongoing development of the Museum.

The committee continue to enjoy the support of Glanbia PLC who previously owned the site and are now our neighbours providing assistance on an ongoing basis.
Donaghmore Famine Workhouse Museum, Donaghmore, Portlaoise, Co Laois, Ireland. Phone : +353 (0)86 8296685 +353 (0)87 9172008 E-mail:
National developement plan    European Union structural funds    Laois Leader    
Privacy Statement | Sitemap
powered by SitesToGo TM